Many people believe that Christianity is a way of life that allows a person to get into heaven by being good, by believing that Jesus is the Son of God, or a combination of both. This is part of Christianity but many people ignore, or don’t know about, the reason why we are rewarded with eternal life and a permanent stay in heaven.
The first commandment in the old testament is the following:
Thou shalt not have any other gods before me. – Exodus 20:3, KJV
- the creator and ruler of the universe
- source of all moral authority
- the supreme being
- a diety
- a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes.
- a greatly admired or influential person
- a thing accorded supreme importance
- Highest rank or authority
- Most important or powerful
- The greatest
- To give
- To grant
- Be harmonious with
- Be consistent with
- An official agreement
Looking at these definitions we can come to the following conclusions:
- God should be the Highest ranking authority in your life.
- God should be the most influential person in your life.
- God should be the most admired person in your life.
- God should be the most important thing in your life.
- God should be your source of all moral authority.
- God should be worshipped as having control over nature.
- God should be worshipped as having control over human fortunes.
- You should have an agreement with God to do all these things.
- You should be consistent in exercising all of the above.
When Jesus was asked what is the greatest commandment, he responded by saying … “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and
with all thy mind.” – Matthew 22:37, KJV
You can demonstrate your Love for God by making the above nine points an everyday part of your life and by following the commandments giving to Moses to the best of your ability. The following new testament verses show that we should still obey the Mosaic Law.
If ye love me, keep my commandments. – John 14:15, KJV
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. – Matthew 5:17-18, KJV
Jesus came to show us how to fulfill the law by fulfilling it himself. God’s law has not changed as many false teachers would have you believe. We are to obey the law God gave to Moses. It is through obedience to God and putting God first in our lives that we are given the gift of eternal life, not because we deserve it but because God loves us.